Several centuries ago, the land area around Srivilliputhur was under the rule of Queen Malli. This Queen had two sons called Villi and Kandan. One day, while they were hunting in a forest, a tiger killed Kandan. Unaware of this fact, Villi searched for his brother, got tired and feel asleep. In his dream, God narrated to him what happened to his brother. Realising the fact, on divine orders Villi founded a beautiful city by setting right the forest. For this reason only, the city is named after him as Villiputhur. Further, because of the divine birth of Sri Andal in this city, it got the honorific of Srivilliputhur.
During the reign of Thirumalai Naikar (1623 – 1659) and Rani Mangammal (1889 – 1706), this city became very popular. Thirumalai Naikar had done a lot of renovation consecration to the temples of this city. From 1751 to 1756 A.D., Srivilliputhur came under the rule of Nerkattucheval Jamindar Pulithevar. Then it fell into the hands of Mohammed Yousoof Khan. Until 1850, Sri Andal temple was under the care of the king of Trivancore. The Britishers ruled the country till India attained freedom.
Formerly, Srivilliputhur was a part of Madurai district. Later on, it was annexed with Tirunelveli District in 1838 and in 1910 with Ramnad district respectively. When Ramnad District was divided into three districts, Srivilliputhur, significantly called the city of temples, came under Virudhunagar district. In this renowned city, there are many heritage temples.
The reputed temples of Sri Andal and Sri Vadapathra Sayanar are located in the heart of the city. The big tower of this temple stands as the official emblem of Tamil Nadu Government.
Towards west to this city lies the Western Mountainous range. And it contains dense forests and provides sanctuary to wild animals.
Srivilliputhur falls en route to the National Highways (N.H.208) extending from Thirumangalam to Kollam. The cities Rajapalayam and Sivakasi are 11 kilometres and 20 kilometres distance away from Srivilliputhur.
The important nearby cities:
Virudhunagar - 45 km, Madurai – 75 Km, Chennai – 515 Km.
Translated from Tamil by Professor. Dr. M. Shanmugam, Ph.D., Thiruvalluvar College of Engineering & Technology, Vandavasi – 604 505, India